Thursday, 4 April 2013

Fresh Meat

There were some new people at the Comedy Workshop this week.

New people are great! We need more people if we're going to take over the world and destroy all life, which is the ultimate goal of the Colchester Comedy Workshop. So naturally we wanted to make a good impression.

Things started pretty well, with some improv games to warm us up. But then the building decided to join in and improvised 'being on fire'. It wasn't really on fire, but that didn't stop the fire alarm going WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH for an annoyingly long time. At first it was entertaining watching James run around the building like a headless chicken trying to work out how to stop it, but after a while the noise got too much for us and we decided to wait outside in the cold.

Eventually the alarm cut out and we resumed our silly games, but only for a few minutes before exactly the same thing happened again. This time Stuart employed his considerable charm to persuade the nice people at Firstsite to give us a meeting room, and so we were able to continue in a relatively WAH WAH WAH free environment.

So far, not the best first impression for our newcomers. But that would certainly change when we started looking at some hilarious sketches!

I'd brought along a sketch I wanted the group to try out. I was keen to get some feedback because it's a sketch about a horrible racial stereotype, and if I'd not pitched the tone correctly there was a danger that it might come across as though the sketch itself was being racist, which I was quite keen to avoid. I got some useful feedback, which is great, but on the down side, our newcomers may have been left with the impression that I'm a massive racist.

Then we tried out a sketch by Phil. I don't even know how to begin to describe it. I can only say that I had no idea what was happening, and that it made me question my sanity, the nature of reality, and the purpose of existence. Goodness knows what our newcomers made of it.

I hope they come again next time. To be honest, it seems unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment